Saturday, October 4, 2008

Toadtown

TOAD TOWN

Every garden needs a toad town. At least out where I live ,I have so many toads sometimes that they have to have a place to belong. So I made them Toad town. It is full of toads and frogs some of which are just statues. They have to have water so I have a big shallow glass bowl that is their swimming pool and another one is just the saucer of a big flower pot painted iridescent blue to look like a swiming pool. A solar light lights up the town. They have several toad houses, some are flower pots that are broken and painted to look like houses, coffee cups and shells, they have their own little garden with a tiny birdbath I made myself from tiny terracotta pots, they even have their own playground and in the very front of it all there is a garden sign that says welcome to toad town U.S.A. home of about 83 toads and frogs plus a few turtles.

They are treated so well because they provide me with a great service, they eat a lot of bugs. I don't have to spray to keep the insect population down. between the toads, frogs ,birds and snakes, I have a lot of help. That allows me to keep my flowers insecticide free for the birds,bees and butterfies.

The frogs and toads sure are noisy at night though. But it really doesn't matter,there are a lot of night noises out here in the country that you have to get use to, but it's still a lot quieter here than in the city. and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
The birdlady

No comments: