Saturday, October 18, 2008

Kid Days



What do you miss most about being a kid?

I don't really have any garden related things to talk about today. So I thought I'd talk about when I was a kid and all the things I miss about the carefree days of a being a kid with no worries at all. I miss laying in the middle of the yard for hours on end looking at the clouds and imagining what they looked like. A monkey or a lion? I miss sitting on my friend Barberas swing staring up into the tree twisting myself up in the swing and letting it unwind, twirling round and round until I was too dizzy to stand up. Now I get dizzy for no reason and don't like it.(Menieres disease) I miss the stupid things we use to talk about when my friends and I slept out in my tent in the woods.I don't miss school that much. But then again who does? I had a bike that I rode almost every day, Of course only country kids know around the block is 4 miles. You had to have a bike. My friend lived just down the road, 1 1/2 miles down the road ,that's 3 miles round trip. Funny I can't even get my daughter to go to the mail box and back. We had chores then too, today kids look at you like you're crazy if you ask them to do anything. When we wanted to ride our bikes to town it was over 5 miles there. Mostly we just hung around the farm down the street and helped them out with the animals. We cleaned the barn and fed the pigs and washed down the cows and brushed the ponies and all kinds of things. I've always loved animals of all kinds. I guess some things don't change. I still love animals, I still have chores, I still get dizzy, It's still a long way to town, I still spend a lot of time doing things for others. But now, if I laid out in my yard for hours staring at the sky they'd probably send either the county coroner or the mental health people to get me.
the birdlady

No comments: