Saturday, October 4, 2008



Garden Needs a Facelift
My biggest flowerbed is getting out of hand this year, I have to make it smaller. I have so many different flowerbeds all over the yard and hundreds of plants and even more bulbs, that I can’t keep up with it. Every day I’m reminded that I’m not as young as I use to be. A few years ago I had no problems getting up early and spending the whole day weeding and trimming. Now I sit and weed for about an hour and I feel like I’ve been sat on by sasquatch himself. Smell and look that way too, I waddle to my bench and can’t seem to get up the strength to go any further. I usually give up, put my tools away and go in the house to soak in the tub for a while to soothe my aching muscles. I really hate to make it smaller, But I think I‘ll take out my arbor too, It like me has seen its better days too. I’ll have to find a new place for a lot of birdhousesthat hang and sit on it. But my clematis that grows on it is doing badly too. I don’t think it gets enough sun there, I’ll move it to my side arbor. It already has 2 birdhouses hanging on it but maybe one or two more wont hurt. One birdbath will have to be moved and two birdfeeders,I have a path with stepping stonesrunning the length and width of the whole thing. That will have to be shortened.
There is one thing That I hate about the front flowerbed and that is a bush that keeps spreading by sprouts coming up every where, I don’t know what it is . I call it the bush from hell. I’ve tried several times to kill it and it just keeps getting stronger. Once when we had a small cultivator we had rented to bury some new wiring and piping while we were renovating. We tried to pull it up with that and one of the smaller parts of the bush about pulled that big machine over before the roots gave. And it seemed to like it. It sure didn’t hurt it. If I move my lilies away from there maybe I’ll pour gas on it and burn it. Any one have any suggestions? I’ve tried rock salt, round up max strength, stump killer and brush killer. Nothing has fazed it at all. It is a wicked thing. But it’s got to go.
birdlady

No comments: