Friday, October 10, 2008

Growing Your Own Veggies



Growing your own veggies

I Love to grow things other than flowers. Every year I have had my own vegetable garden.



My family has always grown their own veggies, Even when I was little and we lived in the city My dad was always growing what he could in our yard. He would work on the veggies and my mom would work on the flower beds. I of course had to fill the bird feeders. and I loved to help any where I could in the garden or flowers. I learned a lot from my parents and grandparents about gardening and heirloom plants. There is one heirloom tomato that I love, It is the pineapple tomato, It is a a deep yellow with red running through it. They are a big variety growing to 1 to 1 1/2 pounds each, they have a great flavor and are low in acid so I can usually eat as many as I want without my heartburn flaring up. There is nothing like a Home Grown tomato and my family eat as many as we can while they are in season because you no longer want to eat those store bought tomatoes again. I always grow plenty of plants and have many tomatoes to go around. This year I had problems keeping the birds out of them, Usually I put garden stakes with pie pans tied to them, throughout the garden to keep the birds away, they don't like the reflections when the pans move or the noise they make hitting against each other. But this year, My son used all of the stakes to put a fence around it to keep out our new dog Nikki, She learned how to pull weeds and shake the dirt off the roots, She's real good at it ,But unfortunately she can't tell the weeds from Good plants. I had an owl statue I use to help keep the other birds out, but he needs repainted. Oh well next year I'll have to get out my pie pans.

The birdlady Increase Page Rank

No comments: