Friday, October 3, 2008

The humble House Wren

Early in the spring, The quiet is interrupted by the loud shrill persistent singing of a male house wren. Where is he, I wonder. I get out my binoculars and begin scanning the large bare area surrounding my house. He's here somewhere. I wish I had a birdfinder. Faithful and persistent my favorite male house wren has returned for the 4th year in a row. He has kept me entertained for 3 years now with his cheery antics. I wasn't sure he would return this year because his lifelong mate didn't reappear last year. I was sad for him, Something must have happened to her. For 3 years in a row she has returned after a long winter to mate with the same male. He is busy checking out the possible nesting areas for the first of two matings of the season. Stopping occasionally to loudly sing his song to attract the female. He is so loud, It's hard to believe thet he is so tiny.



The male has started a nest in the birdhouse on my front trellis, stuffing it full of sticks. It's fun to watch him as he tries repeatedly to cram a stick in that is about 3 times longer than the hole is wide. In the end he wins the battle and the problem stick is in place. He is happy with the nest for now and flies off to start another one. He likes to give his mate several to choose from. I'm pretty sure she'll choose the gourd though she always does for the first batch of babies. She prefers the same gourd for some reason. (Home sweet Home?) He perches on the birdbath for a much earned drink, Singing out his shrill song before taking off to start stuffing the gourd full of sticks too. I hope the female returns this year, She will choose which nest she likes best and start throwing some of the sticks out to make enoguh room, then she finishes the nest herself adding feathers leaves maybe a string or piece of fabric, anything she can find that is soft to line the nest. Sometimes she returns to find a stick he has placed back in the nest only to throw it out again. I think this little wren makes a good mate. He even helps feed the young after they hatch. The babies eat continuously all day long. Most male wrens make the nest, mate, and leave to start another nest for another mate. But not this one ,He is faithful and even hangs around patiently helping the female until she is ready to mate again. Most of the time he is not allowed back in the nest once the eggs hatch, Loudly he anounces his arrival, before stopping in the doorway with his offered tidbit he has in his beak, usually a small cattepillar or juicy beetle. Then he flys off for another. I can sit in my swing and watch these birds all day. They work so hard and are so happy doing it, I knw they sure do cut down on the bug population in my garden, those baby wrens sure eat a lot of bugs.
the birdlady

No comments: