Monday, September 15, 2008

Cleaning up the mess
Well it's that time of year again, time to start trimming down all of the dried up plants, For me that's a major task. I have almost as much area in garden space as I do lawn. Clean up takes a long time. especially since I've not been weeding like I should. and all of the mess left from the storm yesterday on top of it all. My garden in the front yard is my biggest and it was harder hit than the others. I had birdhouses on the ground, and a Bunny statue knocked over, and a lot of plants completely flattened to the ground. First, I have to fill the hummingbird feeders because the swinging back and forth has emptyed them and my hummers are getting upset at me. One was looking in the window this morning, and another was zipping around my head when I went out to get the paper. I think they mean business, With that taken care of I grabbed my garden tools and got to work trimming and pulling. After a while I stop and take a break. Looking back as I go through the front door to see that it doesn't really look any better yet, This is really going to take a long time. I can't forget I have caladiums, elephant ears , cala lillies, and glads to dig before frost. they have to come in for the winter because it gets too cold here in Indiana for them, they'll freeze in the ground. I always try to keep my eyes open for good deals on flower bulbs about this time of year too. I would like to get some more Stargazer bulbs, They are my favorite and they don't take very much room at all.
I am supposed to be cutting down on my garden space ,I told my husband that I would little by little, because I am having problems keeping up with it. I'm not getting any younger. But then who is?
Written by birdlady

No comments: