Thursday, February 12, 2009

********************************************
In my last post we discussed how to prepare for the birds by first making sure they have birdhouses to nest in. The next step to ensure that the birds will visit your garden and stay close is a water feature. Birds like all living things need water to survive so we have to provide it for them. There are many ways to incorporate water into your garden theme, Let's explore some of the options that are available to us. This is not a decision you should rush into, Some water features are a little bit harder to maintain than others, and some are also more permanent features than others are. So weigh your options first, The possibilities are endless, and there are many things to consider first. Space available, maintenance, proximity to spigot, power supply, installation process, and location it will be in.

First let's discuss the easiest option, THE BIRDBATH Every gardener should have a birdbath or two. They are easy to maintain, Easy to install, can be moved, No power supply is needed, They don't take up much space, and there are many styles to choose from. Set up is simple, First buy one , put it where you want it and add water. Simple, Right? Well not quite, they do need cleaned occasionally, changing the water everyday or using a mosquito dunk is suggested, and depending on your location, you may have to take it in during the winter. But it is the easiest and quickest solution. I have several birdbaths and can always use more, I usually don't have to change my water but I do have to fill them everyday because my birds usually empty them by drinking, bathing, and playing in them.

Fountains are another nice way to furnish the birds with a fresh supply of water at all times, You don't have to worry about mosquitoes because the water is moving and will not stagnate either.



You do have to have a power supply close if your pump is electric, taking care not to let the pump run without water. They do need cleaned out occasionally, but that is easy. It's not very hard to move them either. The biggest problem you will have is deciding which one that you like the best.

There are SO many to choose from. Many types, Styles, and sizes too. Tall fountains of course would look better with tall plants and there are shorter one for plants that grow close to the ground or don't get too tall. If you have a wall in your garden or want to build one, they have very nice wall fountains you can use just for that purpose. The choices again, are endless.

If you cannot decide maybe I can help you, Such as, Do you have a theme in your garden? They come in many themes also, a few being frogs, angels, dolphins, cherubs, children, Buddhas, almost any animal you can imagine, even dragons, gnomes and fairies. I hate to say it again but The choices are endless.



If you can find a fountain that is exactly what you want the hard part is over. The birds love them and soon they will enjoy your choice as much as you do, They make a nice relaxing sound and are so beautiful to watch. I'm sure you will enjoy taking a break from your gardening chores and resting near your new fountain, where you can see and hear the beauty that it will bring to your garden for many years to come.
the birdlady
*************************************************

2 comments:

tina said...

I think I like all birdbaths, any that automatically fill and clean themselves?:)

birdlady said...

Hi Tina,
I don't carry any in my store but there are self cleaning birdbaths (believe it or not)I.m not sure how well they work,or even if thay do at all, but I do know that they are expensive. I have to water my garden a lot anyway so it's no problem to spray them with a stong blast of water as I pass them, every so often I hook a bottle of bleach cleaner and a brush on my belt or cart and do a quick squirt and scrub before I spray them. I probably wouldn't have to clean them but once or twice a year but I have well water and it gets nasty if it sits very long.