Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Don’t Close Your Eyes Today

It feels almost like spring today! The temperature is warmer than it has been lately. It’s 52 out now and supposed to climb to a whopping 60 degrees before the days end. WOW!. I know better than to get used to it though, after all, it is Indiana and anyone who has lived here can tell you, if you don’t like the weather now, just close your eyes for a few minutes. Some even say it can change in the blink of an eye. All I know is Mother Nature likes to play games with us Hoosiers and has a mean streak a mile wide.




Almost all of the snow has melted and there are puddles everywhere and a lot of water standing around. The birds are checking for food under all of the freshly uncovered ground. The snow can be very hard on the birds and other wildlife that have to forage for food. The creeks have all thawed out and are probably rising from all of the melting that has occurred so fast. If the sun would come out and the drizzle goes away, it would be great!


I guess I should get started on seed starting soon. I also have a lot of clearing winter debris away too. When the ground dries up I’ll get my tools out and a few things that the rain won’t hurt and get started cleaning up. My lawn chairs are one thing to come out first, after all I have to have somewhere to rest occasionally. I need to check all of my planters over for damages that sometimes occur from freezing. Same goes for some of the statues. However, what I consider to be the most important thing to get ready are my birdhouses, the birds won’t wait, if they are ready to build nests and the houses aren’t up yet they will build in places you may not consider appropriate. Sometimes they do anyways but as the saying goes, don’t ask for trouble.
Birdbaths need to be cleaned and filled as soon as the danger of freezing has passed. Right now, some of the birds are using the puddles everywhere but I would feel better knowing they have clean water.
birdlady

No comments: