Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bird Watching? Are You Prepared?

Look, Up in the sky, Is that a plane?, Is that Superman? NO, It's a big beautiful bird, and I have no way to see it better or take it's picture. Does this sound familiar to you? I know it does to me.

A few days ago While driving down a country road minding our own business, my husband and I were treated to the sight of a beautiful hawk flying just above the windshield of the car for a few mind blowing seconds. I was awestruck and couldn't get my camera aimed in time to capture it on film before it was out of what my viewfinder is capable of. I was very disappointed to have missed what could have been a wonderful shot of that magnificent bird.


A birdwatcher must be prepared. There have been many times that I have seen a rare or unusual bird, animal or even beautiful scenery that I would have loved to get a closer look at and better yet take a photo or two of, but I am never prepared. I find myself wishing that I could capture a good nature shot on film and share it with the folks on the Internet who have posted great photos themselves for everyone to enjoy, some of them are utterly breathtaking. But I have never invested in the proper equipment. Oh sure I have a pair of binoculars and a camera, but they aren't great.

I know that the equipment that birders and photographers use can be very expensive. I am just an average nature lover and by no means an expert in either field, but I do like to observe and take nice photos too. So I have decided to do something about it. I have my eye on a new product that I carry in my store that will solve both of the above problems. I am placing it on my wish list and making it known to my hubby, I have a birthday coming up, and it's a big one, Just never mind how big. But if I hint around enough maybe he will buy it, Oh who am I kidding? My husband doesn't get hints and wouldn't notice one if he sat in it. I'll have to try a more direct approach. So here it is. Maybe he will read my blog.

These new digital binoculars are a great idea and not too terribly expensive. They allow you to get a close up view of your target and capture it in a photo. They will take a memory card, come with a disc for your computer and have many other features that make them the ideal item for any nature lover. I won't bore you with the details. If you want to check them out further click here. But I think they are great. If you already have a good camera, I also carry other nice binoculars in stock you can check out that will bring the action up close and personal.


I don't know about you but the next time I see something that will make a great photo. I'll be prepared. Now if I can just get my mind to function long enough to take a picture instead of standing there staring at it thinking WOW! I'll have a lasting memory of it, like a nit wit.

No comments: