Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhogs Day 2009


Well folks it is finally Groundhogs Day. I don’t have much hope in that fat, furry, critter saying that spring is on it’s way here in diana today. We are supposed to get more snow today and tomorrow. ( just what we need.)I can see most of my statues now. And my birdhouses have thawed out. They have changed the forecast however and it’s not supposed to amount to much,
About 2 more inches altogether. But it is supposed to get real cold here. Our groundhogs will probably stay inside for fear of frostbite.

I have had people ask me, why I stay in Indiana if I hate the snow so much well………. I have lived in Indiana all my life, which is a long time. (and that’s all I’m saying) Most of my family is here. Most importantly my kids and 10 grandkids live here. For the most part Indiana is O.K. but the weather is so unpredictable. For instance it’s supposed to be in the single digits for one night and then by Sat up to almost 50, How’s that for drastic differences? It changes as much as the gas prices.


While we are on the subject of change, I have a lot of changes that I want to make in my gardens. Some of my decorations need to be retired. I have been wanting to start a new Gnome Village anyway, so I guess now would be a good time to do that. I also want to put out butterfly feeders in an already established area that has a lot of plants that the butterflies love. I also want to order some praying mantis egg sacks from one of my favorite links. I am trying to get rid of my bad bugs without spraying because I have a lot of living things in my garden and don’t want to harm them too.


I have a lot of birdfeeders and birdhouses that always have nests in them and the parent birds get bugs out of my garden to feed their babies. I also can’t risk harming my frogs and toads that live in my toadtown. They do help a lot with the bug population, but I need to get rid of those pesky Japanese beetles. Maybe I can bribe one of my new Gnomes to catch them all in a bug trap, I hear they will do almost anything for a chocolate chip cookie. Hmmmmmmm
The birdlady

No comments: