Sunday, March 22, 2009

More Than Just Birdhouses

I love birdhouses, They make great decorating items for your porch, yard, garden and even inside your house as a theme for any room. I have a very large collection of birdhouses inside and out. My kitchen theme is birdhouses. I had a great time decorating my kitchen. There is not any space that doesn't have a birdhouse, or a picture of one. I have birdhouse towels, dishrags, pot holders, curtains, tablecloth, appliance covers, bag holders, bed tray, place mats, throw rugs, candle warmer, drawer knobs, canisters, wall trim, real birdhouses hanging and on shelves, even a birdhouse water cooler cover. It turned out great. and I love it. In the winter I feel like I have a little of the outdoors right inside my kitchen and it makes me miss going outside just a little less. If I didn't have cats I would probably have birds too. My mom used to have canaries when I was little and I loved it when they sang. I do have some birds in with my birdhouses, It just makes since for them to be added too.


One thing I had a lot of fun doing was painting and decorating an old cabinet to go with my birdhouse theme. First I stripped off all of the old varnish, stained the top to match my cabinets,



then I painted the doors the same blue that I used to sponge paint my walls and the cabinet itself white. I added rub-ons of birdhouses and birdhouse knobs. I did the same to my vegetable bins. I did stenciling and hand painting on the bulkhead that devides the kitchen from the dining area. My sister in law made me the clock. her web address is http://www.carlasemb.com/om/ I'm kind of a finatic when it comes to home decorating, I like each room to have a theme. One bathroom is Dolphins, the other bathroom is Palm trees, and the main bedroom is Oriental theme, My daughters room has it's own theme all together it's called tornado aftermath. It had a butterfly theme to start with but it got lost during the storm called teenager.






Can you make out the little bluebird hanging in the photo above? I sell these in my store. it is a little lantern and it makes a perfect romantic glow while watching t.v. or just relaxing in the living room, It hangs in a framed out sort of window between my living room and dining room,




I love it. I have a lot of oil lamps, candles and lanterns all over the house because we have a lot of power outages where we live out here in the boonies. They really come in handy. The lanterns come in a lot of different styles and can also be used outdoors. We use ours a lot when we have company or a cookout. A lot of the items you can decorate with can also be use ful, I use the bed tray a lot too. It is perfect to take your dinner to the living room while you relax. and is kind of cute hanging on the kitchen wall too. Of course my husband likes this decoration too, because sometimes he gets breakfast in bed on it. Lucky Man.
the birdlady

No comments: