Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Garden Planning

Every year I plan out my garden ahead of time. I don't know why because it never works out the same as I plan it, But I guess it would be worse if I didn't think some things out ahead of time. Right? Today that is what I'm going to do. I have some of my plants started in my little greenhouse, but they are so tiny I can't count on them to be ready in time to put them in the ground. Last year we grew a salsa garden. I had so many peppers growing that I didn't have enough room to grow any beans. I like the Roma bush type beans. They taste good, are string less, and the compact plants really produce a lot of beans. This year I am determined to plant a few rows of them. I have to put windwheels or noise makers of some type in with them too to keep the rabbits from eating the plants, they seem to like the beans. Last year they ate the broccoli plants and radishes down to the ground. Broccoli doesn't really grow well in Indiana but my son wanted to try it, apparently so did the bunnies. I'm guessing they liked it. I haven't seen many rabbits this year, I think the stray cats that hang around keep them away. I have two cats myself and believe it or not their names are Salsa and Pepper.
SALSA & PEPPER (my cats)


I love yellow Zucchini, So does my family. I fry it in flour & cornmeal, with butter Crisco and they can't get enough of it. That is the only squash that we like. It's getting hard to find the seeds for it, because Burppe is the only one that can actually call it zucchini. Other types of yellow squash is not quite the same. It is so yummy. My Dad who hates squash and would never eat it when my mom would fix it, finally ate some a few years ago when I fixed it. Now he asks for it all of the time. We only have it in the summer because it costs way too much in the stores and they are also just little bitty things compared to the size that you can grow them to fry. The only problem I have in growing them is they get root worm easily. Over the years I have found that if you start them in a big pot with no bottom or one with large holes and then sink the whole pot in the ground when the plants are a decent size, they are less likely to get those pesky varmints in them.

This year I bought a new type of flower bulb to try too. Well at least it's new to me. I think it's actually been around a while. It's called Ismene. I'm one of those people who usually stick with the old fashioned favorites as far as flowers go. But these look interesting, so I'll give them a try.
Has anybody ever grown these before? If you have any information on them, drop me a line, I sure would like to hear what you think about these flowers.


The main reason that I have passed them up before is that, where I live you have to dig them up each year and store them for the winter. I'll have to remember to do it. Oh well I have to dig my Caladdiums, Calla Lilies, and Elephant ears too, So I'll just add one more to that list of must dig bulbs and if they are worth the effort, I may get some more next year.

I need to get some of the seeds I just bought planted in pots and growing soon, because Planting time is not far off. I am going to try and get to the place where I buy heirloom tomatoe plants, I will have to take my hubby in with me to keep me from getting too carried away with my tomatoes because I can't stop myself when I see all of those plants, they are very cheap and I love home grown tomatoes. I wish I could make my garden bigger, but we have made it bigger the last two years in a row. Oh well who needs lawn right?

3 comments:

tina said...

Pepper and Salsa are just too cute! I have no experience with Ismene. It looks interesting. Your garden sounds just great!

Unknown said...

I am recently living in a small house without a place to put up a garden. I love plants, I love it very much and I want to take care of them as one of my hobby because I am a stay home woman. Can you give some kind of plants that I can have so that my house will be very beautiful and nature friendly?

bean bags

birdlady said...

Sure naily, I would be happy to give you some plants to grow in your garden. Do you live in Indiana? If so you're more than welcome to come over and we'll dig up some starts of whatever you would like to grow. Some things will probably have to wait until spring though.
birdlady