Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Waiting For Spring




Every winter I anxiously await the first signs of spring. The long cold winter seems to be never ending. Time stands still and all you can see is snow, brown grass and bare trees. Indiana don’t you just love it? It’s nearing Ground Hog Day February 2nd and I find myself wondering is it almost over? Will the ground hog see his shadow? Could spring possibly be right around the corner? Well it’s not likely to be an early spring here at least, it is snowing now, the biggest snow Indiana has had this season in fact. The groundhog probably won’t even be able to get out of his den, and if he does make it out, who will see him?

My bird feeders are covered with snow so badly that I‘m not sure I can find them to fill them up. I guess I’ll wait a while to try, at least until it stops snowing. I don’t see any birds out in these blizzard like conditions anyway, but I’m sure they are there somewhere waiting for their seed. There are no animal prints out there that I can see either. Snow is so pretty and I would love to see it, if it would stay white and smooth like it is now, But it ends up dirty and slushy. It also causes a lot of power outages and very dangerous road conditions. But overall I would rather have the snow than the ice.

I can see part of my Goose statue, but the Buddha Statue is almost covered and I can see the tips of wings suggesting that my Gargoyle is almost thoroughly covered. Somewhere scattered through the big garden are my solar lights I don’t see them but I know they are out there. All of these got left out in the weather this year because they are so big and I have little room in the barn for anything. It is cramed with garden tools and my lawn furniture and garden swing take up most of the available space, maybe next year I’ll buy some covers for them and leave them on the porch so I’ll have more room.

My husband is going to brave the storm and start the digging out process, maybe I should tie a lifeline to him and then to the porch so he can make his way back. I wouldn’t want to lose him, I’m kind of use to having him around. I think I’ll cheer myself up and look through the seed catalogs and websites , maybe even do some ordering for the veggie garden, that will chase away my winter blahs.
The birdlady

1 comment:

lisa winter said...

wow! you've really got your feeders buried under the snow. We've had a mild winter in my area this year. Winter is my favorite time of year to feed the birds, they seem much more willing to come up to the feeders. We get woodpeckers in winter, one of my favorites.