Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Gardening Comes Natural


One thing that I look forward to every year is my first ripe tomato, There is nothing better than home grown tomatoes, I have been growing my own tomatoes since I was a child. You might say I was born with a green thumb and garden tools in my hands. My family has always had a garden, and I grew up thinking everyone did, In fact I was rather shocked to find out that not everyone got to experience the flavor of their own home grown tomatoes.
I couldn’t live without them now that I know how easy it can be.






I don’t intend to get carried away with my gardening this year, I am getting to old to spend all of my time weeding in the hot sun, I prefer to spend it in my garden swing in the shade, admiring my flower bed. I do have a few things that I consider a must to grow every year, Tomatoes, peppers and green onions. There have been a few years that I have intended to grow only these three things, to make it easier for me to take care of my garden, but Now that I think of it I have always added other things and never succeeded in growing just those three favorites. I guess I might as well admit that I am a garden addict. I can’t help myself. If there is a bare spot of ground, I have to plant something in it.


Next on my list is to try to make my flower beds a little easier to take care of too. I am going to buy praying mantis eggs this year to help with the insects, Between the birds, frogs, and praying mantises I should have a fairly easy time controlling the insects, I need to find a natural way to cut down on the weeding though. My husband wants me to make my flower beds smaller, But the one bed I chose to take out this next spring was so beautiful this year that I changed my mind and decided to keep it. It also contains a birdbath, and two bird feeders, so I would have to put them elsewhere. I am going to tell my husband that the birds took up a petition saying it would be too stressful on them to relocate. Do you think that would work?
The birdlady

No comments: