Friday, January 9, 2009

Bird Watching


Birdwatching can be very relaxing, I love to go on long walks and keeep my eyes open for the different types of birds. I have noticed the population of Red tail Hawks has really increased in Indiana. and have seen a few Coopers Hawks lately too. I have never noticed as many Blue Heron here as I've seen in the last few years either. I live in the country and the wildlife here is great.




Of course I have bird feeders to attract the birds and there are ponds on both sides of me so I see a lot of water birds also. and My yard seems to attract a lot of other animals too, My husband thinks I feed every animal around here. Not really, but you never know what kind of animals you're going to see. The hummingbirds are among my favorites.


I have several types of birds that visit my feeders,and I like to just relax in my garden swing and watch them for hours. I keep bird houses for them too. and of course birdbaths, so they have plenty of water to play in and drink. One particular bluejay I had use to come every day for peanuts I would put out for the squirrels. He would land at the peanuts grab one in his beak, and fly to the birdbath where he would dip it in the water several times and then fly up to the tree to break it open and eat it. Was he a clean freak or did he do it to soften the shell? He also did it with cheese curls when I gave them to him, Or should I say when he swiped them from the squirrels.
Birds can be facinating to watch, Give it a try sometime, You won't be disappointed.
the birdlady

No comments: