Friday, December 26, 2008

Time to Plan for spring

With the holidays coming to an end and family and friends all gone, when the rushing here and there all over, it’s time to start planning for spring, There are a lot of decisions to make, you might as well get everything ready ahead of time. Decide what you want to plant and where, soon the garden catalogues will be arriving in the mail, and you can order your plants and seeds now to be shipped in the spring. There is nothing more aggravating than getting your order in too late and finding out that the plant you wanted to put in a particular spot is sold out. I also buy any decorations and bird houses and feeders ahead of time so I am ready to put them out when the birds are ready to start building their nests. Here in Indiana where I live, we usually have many false starts of spring and you never know when the birds will be ready to build their new family home for the season. Therefore, you have to be prepared.
I like to set out nesting materials for them to use too’ such as pieces of string, yarn, paper strips etc. They love Easter grass, and I put some out for them to find easily. Birds put some strange things in their nests, One year when cleaning out birdhouses I found a five dollar bill neatly woven into one of the nests. One nest had a large collection of bread ties in it; you never know what you will find. I put ice cream buckets over light fixtures that I don’t want them to build their nest on and block any holes to places they can’t build in, and make sure my grill is covered , I had a nest in it before , so I learned to keep it covered. The cap on the propane tank is another favorite spot, but we only use the propane to heat with so it does not really hurt if they build in there, they are long gone when we get it filled in the fall.
I also like to clean out the birdbaths and do any needed repairs and touch up painting on arbors, fences and whatever needs it so they are ready for the plants that will soon be up.
I’m going to be replacing a lot of broken or worn out statues and decorations this year, and flat out just want to change some of the ones I’m tired of too.
I order my seeds way ahead of time and start them indoors, soon to be moved to the garage under a plant light or into the little greenhouse that I put out on the back porch.
Yep! Lots to do, plans to make things to buy. I spend a lot of time on the internet finding what I want. Besides Wal-Mart its my favorite place to shop and it’s easier on the feet too.
The birdlady

No comments: