Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Holidays Are Over

With the holidays over it’s time to get settled in for the long cold winter ahead. There is a lot of real cold and snowy weather ahead for those of us who live in the northern states. What will you do all winter?

I’ll be going over all of my seed and plant catalogs and getting ready to order for spring planting. I like to start my own plants and have a small greenhouse and it comes in handy for seed starting. My cats love green plants too, but don’t appreciate them for their beauty, they like them for their taste, so I can’t grow them in my windows. I put them in the garage in pots and use a plant light to keep them warm and to simulate the sun.


There is nothing like the taste of home grown tomatoes. Anyone that grows their own tomatoes can’t wait for the tomatoes to get ripe, I barely eat store bought tomatoes, and usually pass them up while creating a sandwich or something that doesn’t absolutely have to have tomatoes in it. But when I have home grown tomatoes I load them on. B.L.T.s are so much better with home grown tomatoes.

I also like to start my flowers for my planters and fillers for my flower beds. Although I prefer perennials for the majority of my gardens, there is a lot to be said for blooming annuals. I fill in bare spots with them and have a few spots that I prefer to plant them in all the time.
It’s also time to what new decorations I want to put in this spring. I plan to put in a gnome village this year and want to have it all planned out and my gnomes and accessories purchased in plenty of time for them to come in the mail. I have a big tree that will be perfect to put a gnome door on and windows for them to live in. I need to order some gnomes too.



I also have plans to add some butterfly features to my front garden,I guess I'll be pretty busy over the winter planning and shopping for all of the things I want to do in the spring.
the birdlady

No comments: